Back

Vai alla versione italiana     

Churches

  • Ticket prices may vary according to special exhibitions.
  • Entry is free in State museums for European citizens under 18 or over 65 years of age. European citizens between the ages if 18 and 25 years pay half price.
  • Visitors may enter until one hour before closing time.

 

Duomo - Via Duomo

The cathedral, which was consecrated in 1315 in the presence of Robert of Anjou and Queen Sancha, has been restructured over the centuries. Of great historic and artistic value is the Chapel where the Treasure of St. Gennaro is kept, with the flasks containing the saint’s blood. Every year in May and September the blood liquefies, a miracle that has been studied by scientists from all over the world. Also worth visiting is the Chapel of St. Restituta, the first Christian basilica in Naples, subsequently incorporated into the cathedral. tel. 081 449.097.

Santa Chiara - Via Benedetto Croce

Santa Chiara is certainly one of the most important Angevin monuments in Naples, originally built in the early 14th century. The interior was altered in the 18th century to the Baroque style. In 1943 the church was heavily damaged during an air-raid and was later resto red to its original style (Provençal Gothic). It was here that the Neapolitan royal families and nobility worshipped. The splendid 14th century tomb of Robert of Anjou con be seen behind the main altar. The adjoining monastery with its choirstalls and frescoes and the majolicatiled cloister re s t o red in the 18th century by Domenico Vaccaro, are well worth a visit. tel. 081 552.62.09

Gesù nuovo - Piazza del Gesù

This church was originally built in the late 16th century on the premises of the Palazzo Sanseverino, belonging to the Prince of Salerno. The rusticated 15th century façade was originally intended for their palace. Inside this imposing church the floors and walls are colou red marble. The Altar and sidechapels are sumptuously decorated, and the church contains valuable paintings and sculptures. tel. 081 551.86.13

San Domenico Maggiore - Piazza San Domenico

The Gothic church of San Domenico, dating back to the late 13th century, has been restructu red many times over the centuries. In the 17th century it was decorated in the Baroque style, through it was restored to the Gothic style in the 19th century. In the right-hand aisle the remains of the original Byzantine church can be seen. The Chapel of the Crucifix and the Ve stry are particularly interesting to visit. St. Thomas Aquinas lived and taught in the monastery next to the church. Gre a t works of art belonging to San Domenico are on display at Capodimonte Museum, such as Caravaggio’s «Flagellation» and Titian’s «Annunciation». tel. 0 81 459.188

San Giovanni a Carbonara - Via Carbonara

Begun in 1343 and finished during the 1400’s, it was subsequently enlarged and modified (the impressive staircase dates from the 18th century, and was designed by Sanfelice). Three sculptures are of particular note: the monument to King Ladislao, the tomb of Ser Gianni Caracciolo and the monument to the Miroballo family.

San Lorenzo Maggiore - Piazza San Gaetano

This is where Boccaccio first met Fiammetta in 1334, and where Petrarch (who lived in the adjoining monastery) took refuge a few years later during a terrible storm and tidal wave. The majestic building dates back to the late 13th century and was restructured in the 17th century. It contains the tombs of Catherine of Austria, Charles of Durazzo and Robert of Artois. During excavations beneath the church and monastery. Greek and Roman remains came to light and it is hoped they will be on public display in the near future. tel.081 290.580

San Paolo Maggiore - Piazza San Gaetano

San Paolo Maggiore was built in the late 16th century on the ruins of a 9th century church, which was once site of a Roman Dioscuri temple. An impressive double staircase leads up to the entrance, designed by the architect Francesco Grimaldi, a master of Neapolitan Baroque. The inte rior is divided into a nave and two aisles and contains paintings by Massimo Stanzione, Paolo De Matteis and Francesc oSolimena. tel. 081 454.048

Sant’Anna dei Lombardi - Piazza Monteoliveto

Built in 1411, this church was completely restruc t u red in the 17th century. It has been defined as a «museum of the Renaissance», due to the many beautiful sculp  tures it contains. Particularly noteworthy is a group of eight terracotta figures (originally painted) representing a Pietà and modelled by Guido Mazzoni in 1492. tel. 081 551.33.33

Santa Maria Donnaregina - Vico Donnaregina

This is one of the most intere sting mediaeval buildings in Naples, and is located near the Baroque church of the same name. Built in the 14th century, it was restored to its original Gothic style in the early 20th century. The tombs of Queen Mary of Hungary, by Tino da Camaino and Gagliardo Primario can be seen on one side of the apse, and there a re famous frescoes dating back to the early 14th century in the Nuns’ Choirstalls above.

Santa Maria del Carmine - Piazza del Carmine

Santa Maria del Carmine is the landmark of this district, which is famous as the place where the Neapolitan revolution started in 1647, led by Masaniello. Already in exstence in the 12th century, the church was later restructured around 1283-1300 to incor  porate a small church containing the Holy Virgin called «La Bruna». To the right of the façade is a narrow bell-tower with an pinnacle covered in majolica tiles, designed by Fra’ Nuvolo in the early 17th century. Every year on July 15th, to celebrate the feast of the Madonna del Carmine, there is an impressive firework display, which simulates the burning of the church tower. tel. 200.605

San Francesco di Paola - Piazza del Plebiscito

This church is a copy of the Pantheon in Rome and was built by Ferdinand I of Bourbon in 1817 to celebrate the restoration of his king dom. An imposing pronaos resting on six columns and two Ionian pilasters stands at the front of the church. tel. 081 764.51.33.

Alcuni Consigli...